Monday, December 16, 2013

December 16, 2013

The good folks at Bedford St. Martins sent me an e-mail last week, asking me to sign a permission form to use my little piece of memoir, "Winter Count, 1964" for the eleventh edition of their college level Reader for writing classes, Literature, The Human Experience, Reading and Writing. The piece has been in the last few editions of this excellent Reader, edited by Richard Abcarian, Marvin Klotz, and Samuel Cohen, and I'm honored to be in it. "Winter Count, 1964" is in the "Love and Hate" nonfiction section and I'm right behing "1 Corinthians 13," by Paul, and "No Name Woman," by Maxine Hong Kingston. Not bad company! I posted "Winter Count, 1964" back in September when I talked about an e-mail exchange that I had with an MFA student about the "truth" of creative nonfiction, but so you don't have to go hunting for the that post, I'm going to go ahead and repost the story below.



Winter Count, 1964

      When Sherri Luna rammed Jerry’s Kruger’s crew cut head into the handball court wall at Kester Avenue Elementary school on February 15, 1964, I knew she loved him, a swirling butch, embarrassed sort of love that denied itself even as it was expressed. She loved him the way a 9-year old beefy-ankled, white socked, scuffed-up saddle shoed, valley girl Chicana loves a drawly red necked, red haired, red freckled, cracker son of a Pentecostal preacher from Oklahoma who wouldn’t let his kid slow dance in Miss Arlington’s A4 class, not because Miss Arlington was a wafer thin woman with a 2-foot high beehive hairdo that made her look like an alien from some planet of white porcelain doll people with blood red lips and finger nails long and sharp as steak knives, but because Jerry’s preacher pa didn’t believe 9-year olds much less anybody should be cradling another’s body in their arms and breathing softly on their necks as they swayed to music. Nosiree, Sherri Luna didn’t love Jerry that way, the slow dance, fandango way, where holding someone close is as sweet and natural as lying on your back in the back yard watching the clouds and letting the sunlight kiss your cheek, but she loved him just the same. I knew it when I first saw her rub her body up against Jerry’s blue jeans as she slugged him in the arm by the water fountain the first day he came to class that winter. Plus, she didn’t want to slow dance, not because she didn’t believe in it, but because she was constitutionally against any request that curled out of Miss Arlington’s pouty lips.

      “Just do it, honey.”

      “No.”

      “Please?”

      “No, I said!”

            So, “Ka-Chunk,” went Jerry’s head, cradled in Sherri’s gentle headlock when Miss Arlington was putting on a scratchy waltz on the mono record player that Ricky LaConte had lugged out onto the playground after lunch. Ricky, a fat kid who liked to have us punch his stomach in the boy’s room until his bubbly flesh was filled with blotches like lesions, liked to do such favors, his arm shooting up like a rocket ship out of its socket every time Miss Arlington asked with those pouty lips just who would like to do this or that for her. And that’s a sort of love, too, don’t get me wrong, only it wasn’t Sherri Luna’s sort of love. She needed to touch the someone she loved, even if she didn’t understand what the yearning in her heart was asking her nine-year old body to do.

            So, “Ka-Chunk.”

I was breathing my face into Melinda Coates’ blond ringlets, getting hairs twisted in my glasses’ hinges and imagining myself in heaven and then feeling embarrassed for even thinking such a slack-brained thing as that when I heard it.

            “Ka-Chunk,” echoing into the mauve plastic handball court wall that rose out of the blacktop playground surrounded by bungalows, chain-link fence, and honeysuckle rustling in the winter breeze like our breaths on one another’s necks as we danced.

            “Ka-Chunk.”

            “That was fun,” Jerry laughed. “Do it again,” with “again” drawled out so long, so slow, that it slobbered and dribbled out of his mouth into a dopey-grinned, three-syllabled, shrieky “a-gaaa-in.”

            “Do it a-gaa-in.”

            Poor Ricky. He was right next to me, swaying sort of sad-like, out of time and out of step with Louise Dolan. He wanted to be in that headlock, too, I guess. Maybe he thought that the bumps on his forehead would go with the blotches on his stomach. I don’t know, but I know this. Sheri would have none of him. Ricky wasn’t Jerry in any way, shape, or form and Sherri Luna loved Jerry. That was that, end of the story. We were dancing that Strauss waltz you see in 2001 when the ship docks with the space station, and I swear I saw her gently bend over as pretty as you please and nibble out a tongue-licked hickey on that sun-burnt, freckly red neck of his when she thought no one was looking. We stared and stared. Not even the creamy touch of Melinda Coates could keep me from it. No one in Miss Arlington’s A4 class in 1964 had ever seen such a thing.

And then she counted to three. And then she did it again.

And then she did it again. And I swear she didn’t miss a beat, not a one, not a single one.


One of the things that I love about the piece being in Literature, The Human Experience are the "For Analysis" questions at the end of the story. I was never very good at answering those sorts of questions when I was a student, and I at first I was amused when I read the questions for my piece. But on further reflection I found them pretty smart and intriguing. Here they are:

1. Why does Sherri Luna bang Jerry's head again the ground? Why does he ask her to do it again?

2. Why does Ricky let people punch him in the stomach? What about the 'blotches' left by the punches parallels the hickey Sherri leaves on Jerry's neck?

3. A "winter count" is a story or oral history used by certain Native American tribes to mark individual years in tribal history by retelling an event from that year that is memorable or significant. Why do you think the incident retold in this essay is significant enough to mark its year?

"Winter Counts, 1964" is in large part about the inarticulate need  kids have of expressing physical intimacy towards one another, and these "For Analysis" questions get at that, as does the first of the two "Writing Topics" prompts that follow them:

In what other way do people (of all ages) manifest the combination of desire for and fear of physical intimacy. Reflect on ways in which you and people you have observed or read about deal (or don't deal) with this tension.

By now I'm thinking these editors are really smart! One often writes, as Frank O'Hara wrote, on one's "nerve," and, while we might intuit these larger ideas in our poems and stories, we often don't fully articulate them as we're writing. At least, I don't. And so I'm happy, and also a bit humbled, that Messrs. Abcarian, Klotz, and Cohen have made these connections in my work.

In between the "For Analysis" questions and  the "Writing Topics" prompts are two "Making Connections" questions, in which they ask students to compare my story to a poem by one of my favorite contemporary poets, Galway Kinnell (I wrote my senior thesis on his work when I was at Reed College many moons ago), and one of my favorite fiction writers, Toni Cade Bambara. I thought that was pretty cool, too, as was their final "Writing Topics" prompt:

"'Ka-chunk,' went Jerry's head" (para. 6). Write a short essay in which you relate an incident or a moment, using the vivid transcription of sound."

It all makes me wonder, how would I answer these smart prompts and questions? How would you?

I hope your writing is going well this week.

All best,

S.D. Lishan

No comments:

Post a Comment